Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Aug 3 Monday 2009 Bonavista
Overcast but no rain. We go to Elliston today another Kodac moment as we get up and personal with the puffins. Just a 5 min. walk to the edge of a cliff some as close as 4' awesome. The Atlantic Puffin is a member of the auk family and is related to the razorbill ,dovekie black guillemot and common murre.I watch them go into the holes (homes) on this side of the cliff.
Ellison is also the root cellar capital. These are dug out holes in a mound of earth with a wooden entrance doors. Years ago people stored their vegetables there to last longer. I find someone tending his root cellar he invites me in. I see bins with potatoes and turnips. There is said to be 135 root cellars peppered throughout the town some which have survived more than 200 years. Time for lunch . We go to Nanny's root Cellar Kitchen .excellent food. Back to Bonavista for another historical site. Ryan Premises tells the story of 5 century of commercial fishing industry in Atlantic Canada-5 buildings
Ryan Premises is a time capsule of Newfoundland's salt fish industry. A national historic site. We learn everything from what fisherman wore , to what they ate, to the different types of boats they went to sea in. It is truly a “time stands still”. The library next to post 2 days of blog s.I will do todays at St Johns when I download my pictures. We pass a moose along side the road today. Bill made reservations and it sounds like I will have WIFI in my rig. We reserved 5 days and could possibly stay longer. It starts to rain around 7:30. Good thing he has hook the truck up. Bill did get the satalite working.
We could have stayed longer as we didn't get to Trinity. Bonavista was a visual delight. Highly recommend spending some time there. Now we can say we traveled from Bonavista to Vancouver Island like the song says. This “Land is my land this land is your land”
REMEMBER- Knowledge talks, Wisdom listens.

No comments: