Friday, February 18, 2011

An overview of Peru

Peru is still struggling with the horrendous rain fall of last year. Reconstruction is everywhere. Machu Picchu was closed for 3 months last year because of closed washed roads. Things I liked about Peru-their smoking laws are like ours in BC no public smoking. We saw people in their native dress but I suspect in another generation all will have western clothing. There were no beggars but some aggressive sellers. They seemed to find means for making money. The food was tasty and it was fun trying some local fair- guinnie pigs and llamas. I loved the towns utilization of the old Inca towns. The Inca built their towns and the Spanish took over and tore down their temples and built their churches over them . The Inca walls and streets are still standing. Their driving was crazy. I wouldn't like driving in South America. I found the altitude a little hard to deal with as I tired quickly. Lima - Cusco 11,000 Machu Picchu 8,000 Quito 9,000 We had luck with the weather as it only really rained in Machu Picchu and a little one evening .It did rain during the night. Some of our people are coming down with diarrhea and upset stomaches. So far Bill and I have escaped it. Touch wood.

No comments: